I once had a business coach who put it in great perspective: “Professional athletes train 99% of the time to play 1% of a game and get paid millions, while the rest of us work 99% of the time and train 1% of the time and get paid hundreds.” That makes perfect sense to me. As owners, we need to focus on our own development in leadership skills, as well as running a business (yes, that includes not being afraid of technology), and we need to invest in our technicians’ education, as well as our service advisers’ education.
In my shop, I require a minimum of 20 hours a year of training for my senior employees and 40 hours for my junior employees. I myself do well over 100 hours a year (lead by example). I try my best to walk the walk and not just talk the talk.
I wish I could provide a complete list of EVERYTHING, but I’ll give you what I have collected over time. Below is my list of businesses and individuals who I know can help. Also, take advantage of the MANY shows and conferences that go on all year long (I can provide a list of those in another blog at another time).
Management/Business Coaching (in no particular order):
- AdvisorFix – Jeremy O’Neal – http://www.advisorfix.com/
- DSP Twenty Group – Dennis McCarron – https://www.dsp-20group.com/
- One Eighty Business Solutions – Rick White – (180biz.com)
- Transformers Mastermind Group – Greg Bunch – https://www.transformersmastermind.com/
- Shop Fix Academy – Aaron Stokes – https://shopfixacademy.com/
- Auto Profit Master: https://autoprofitmasters.com/
- RPM Toolkit (http://www.longtermfix.com/rpmtoolkit/login.php)
- RLO Training – Barry Barret – (rlotraining.com)
- Institute for Automotive Business Excellence – Cecil Bullard – (iforabe.com)
- Management Success – http://managementsuccess.com/
- Turnaround Tour – (turnaroundtour.com) – Formerly Gary Gunn; now it is ShopPros with Harry Cousins (http://www.shoppros.ca/)
- ATI – Jim – autotraining.net
- Computrek – (computreksystems.com)
- Educational Seminars Institute – Maylan – (esiseminars.com)
- The ACT group – https://www.automotivecoachingandtraining.com/
- Elite Worldwide – Bob Cooper – (eliteworldwidestore.com)
- Management Success! (managementsuccess.com)
Technician Training (just a few I have found that are good)
- Garage Gurus – https://www.fmmotorparts.com/garage-gurus.html
- AC Delco – https://www.acdelcotraining.com
- Electude – www.electude.com
Please feel free to shoot me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or comment with other training you have found effective.
Architect/President at Autoflow
The Desire for Continuous Improvement
As an auto repair shop owner of Golden Rule Auto Care, Chris Cloutier realized the need for a better way to communicate with his customers as he observed how communication gaps created bottleneck situations and wasted valuable rack time.